Though some patients automatically assume that dentures are their only option for replacing missing teeth, dental implants might also work for them. If there’s still healthy bone tissue, a cosmetic dentist can give you a permanent tooth replacement. Learn the benefits of dental implants and how Dr. Richard Lestz can restore your smile with them at his Forest Hills, NY dental practice.
The Dental Implantation Procedure
A dental implant is a substitute for a tooth's root. It’s made of titanium metal and has grooves that make it easier for your natural bone tissue to grow around it. Having your new “tooth” implanted involves three steps:
- The implant device is placed under the gums so that it can become integrated with the jawbone over time. Bone grafting may be necessary before this step to strengthen the bone tissue.
- Wait two or more months until the healing process, called osseointegration, is complete. The timeline varies by patient.
- Visit your Forest Hills cosmetic dentist for installation of the crown, which is visible above the gumline. Visit your dentist after a few weeks for a checkup.
Benefits of Dental Implants
Dental implants come with a number of short term and long term benefits. Here are a few advantages to consider:
- gives you comfort when eating
- no fear of slipping (a concern for denture wearers)
- gives you more confidence when smiling (no more unsightly gap)
- protects and preserves your bone tissue, which helps ensure that your jawline stays strong
Enjoying Your Restored Smile
After your dental implant procedure is complete, you can go on with your life knowing that your smile has been restored. The success rate of this process is very high and there’s a chance that your new tooth will last a lifetime. It’s important to clean carefully around the tooth (and your other teeth of course) to keep your mouth free from infection or gum disease.
Find Out if You're a Candidate for Implants
After a quick dental exam and X-rays, your cosmetic dentist can tell you if you're a good candidate for dental implants. Call (718) 544-9100 today to schedule an appointment at Dr. Lestz’ Forest Hills, NY office.